My Journeys

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Good-bye Tatay

Last August 10, 2015, Tatay Ben passed away due to complications brought about by the surgery done to seal the hole in his small intestines. His passing away broke the heart of my wife who blamed herself for bringing Tatay to the province to have a short vacation. For my wife, Tatay might have lived a bit longer had she not brought him to the province. I do not blame my brother-in-law or my sister-in-law since both of them did an excellent job of taking care of Tatay. Neither do I blame the doctors at the Batangas Medical Center where Tatay was confined and operated on. They did an excellent job of relieving Tatay of his stomach pain.

In as much as I do not want to, I blame Tatay for what happened to him. Perforated ulcer is caused by taking non steroidal pain killers like Naproxen. When Tatay was still with us, I advised him to take the med only when he feels pain in his joints. With regard to the antiobiotic which he took daily, I advised him that it is bad for one's health. But no matter how hard we try to explain, he always says he is right since he knows what his body needs and what it does not need. He would often go into a fit whenever we try to dissuade him from taking strong medicines.

Do I miss him? In spite of the arguments that we had had since 2003, the house feels empty without him in it. He is much a part of our home like the pieces of furniture that we have there. I hope in his passing away, he would find the release from his pain that he had always longed for.

No comments:

Post a Comment