My Journeys

Thursday, July 31, 2014

How Do You Solve a Problem Like My Author

     I'm glad Miss Sofie, Paeng, and Kuya Rex asked me to attend their meeting about my author Mrs. Riego. They could not figure out why Miss Riego feels frustrated with me and suddenly doesn't want to communicate with me. I explained to them I too could not understand what's wrong with her. As far as Production procedures are concerned, I followed them to the letter. At the onset when Miss Riego complained about the softcopy being different from the book they used in her school, I explained to them that all incoming MS undergo evaluation and editing and it's up to the author to approve or disapprove of the edits. I have the feeling that Miss Riego wants to take charge of the production of her book which of course we will not allow her to do. For example, I was bewildered when she asked for the hardcopy with her corrections on it. According to her, she will use it as a basis to decide which of the items to delete for her MS to meet the allowed number of pages. The more I was surprised when she told me that not all of her corrections were entered in the soft copy. I told her that it was our job to see to it that all corrections were implemented. Had she listened to me, she would not have felt frustrated after seeing the corrected soft copy. Same thing happened when she was surprised to learn that Write This Way Nursery is already being illustrated. She wanted to see first the proofs. I had to tell her that she would the proofs later on. It's good the three decided that they would explain to Miss riego again the limits of her responsibilities as an author.
     I'm glad that Miss Sofie brought up Miss Riego's never ending complaints about Mayan's editing of her grade 1 book, the softcopy of which is very far from the original. I explained to her that Miss Mayan based her edits on the K to 12 curriculum which Miss Riego believes  limits the capabilities of the learners. I'm glad the three agreed with me when I said that if there's anything Miss Riego is frustrated about, it's my continuous reminding her to submit the MS on time as we too are being pressured by management.
     Miss Sofie mentioned that Miss Riego more often than not tends to be demanding especially when it comes to money. It's ok for her to have co-writers but not co-authors. This means that she intends to keep the royalty for herself. I recalled that time when she asked it it's ok for Production to use her illustrations. She expects to be paid of course at least at a discounted rate. Kuya Rex told me that the problem is I give her false hopes about her expectations for her book . I explained that there are things I left to management to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment